Everyone gathered around the fireplace enjoying the holidays. It makes for a picture perfect scene, but without taking the proper precautions fireplaces can cause a fire hazard in an instant.
On average 25 home candle fires start every day. The simple nature of candles having an open flame is the key to why they can be so dangerous. CCFR recommends using battery operated, flameless candles.
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), more than half of all candle fires start because candles were too close to things that could catch fire.
If you use regular candles, they need to be:
• At least a foot away from anything that can burn (curtains, walls, lamps, Christmas trees, etc.)
• Attended at all times (never leave a child alone in a room with a candle)
• Used in sturdy, enclosed candleholders
• Placed in areas where they cannot be tipped over
• Avoided in homes where oxygen is used
Avoid using candles in the bedroom, where more than one-third of home candle fires begin, or other areas where people may fall asleep. In the event of a power outage use flashlights or other battery-operated power, not candles to light your home.
Avoid using candles in the bedroom, where more than one third of home candle fires begin, or other areas where people may fall asleep.
Although gas grills are used roughly 1.5 times as often as charcoal grills, they were involved in five times as many fires. Gas grills were involved in 6,400 home fires, including 2,100 structure fires and 4,300 outdoor fires. The key to not becoming a statistic is following some simple grilling safety tips from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA).
Check the gas tank hose for leaks before using it for the first time each year. Apply a light soap and water solution to the hose. A propane leak will release bubbles. If your grill has a gas leak, by smell or the soapy bubble test, and there is no flame, turn off the gas tank and grill. If the leak stops, get the grill serviced by a professional before using it again. If the leak does not stop, call the fire department. If you smell gas while cooking, immediately get away from the grill and call the fire department. Do not move the grill.
Click here to watch an audio slide show about grilling safely.
Inspect holiday lights every year.
If you find:
• Frayed wire
• Bare spots
• Broken sockets
• The wires are warm to the touch
• They are not approved by UL or another testing laboratory
Then it is time to purchase new lights.
Never link more than three lights strands unless the directions say it is safe.
Connect the strings of lights to an extension cord before plugging into an outlet.