Burn Permit Information - Central County Fire & Rescue

Burn Permit Information


Commercial burn permits are mainly for land clearing. They ensure that:

  • There are low smoke emissions from the burn
  • No inappropriate materials are being burned
  • Only natural vegetation is being burned

These permits may require prior approval from the Missouri Department of Natural Resources.

First time violation of a burn permit is $500; second violation results in the forfeiture of the remaining deposits.


Residential burn permits are for the burning of natural vegetation. These burns can only take place between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and must be at least 50 feet away from all structures.

Bonfires or waste/rubbish fires within the boundaries of Central County Fire & Rescue are required to have a permit from the CCFR Fire Marshal.

No bonfires or waste/rubbish fires may be kindled within the boundaries of Central County Fire and Rescue without first obtaining a permit from the Central County Fire & Rescue Fire Marshal.

Burn Permit Fees:

  • Commercial Burn Permit – $100.00 (a copy of the DNR letter may be required)
  • Individual Burn Permit Fee – $25.00

Permit Applications

  • Applications for open burning must be completed at least ten (10) days before the fire is set.
  • Permits can be at obtained at the CCFR Administration Building, 1220 Cave Springs Blvd. Saint Peters, MO 63376, or by clicking the link at the bottom of this page.
  • If a burn permit is approved, the permit is valid for a period of fifteen (15) days from the date of approval by the Fire Marshal.
  • Failure to comply with these procedures will result in a misdemeanor and shall be punished as is provided by law.

Burn Permits may be issued for the following:

  1. Vegetation Waste
    • Open burn permits may be issued to a private individual to open burn a small quantity of vegetation waste on his/her property.
  1. Bonfires
    • Bonfire permits may be issued if the following are met:
    • The bonfire shall not be more than five (5) feet tall by five (5) feet wide by five (5) feet long in dimension and shall not burn longer than three (3) hours.
    • Fuel for a bonfire shall consist only of seasoned dry firewood and shall be ignited with a small quantity of paper.
    • The fire shall not be used for waste disposal purposes, and the fuel shall be chosen to minimize the generation of air contaminants.
  1. Construction Materials
    • Every effort should be made to transport all construction waste off-site for proper disposal.
    • In the event burning is necessary, only Class A material may be burned, by special permit only.
  1. Other
    • Any proposed burn not falling within the above defined categories shall be conducted lawfully only by special permit approved in accordance with stipulated approval procedures.
    • All commercial and/or industrial burning is prohibited unless a special burn permit is applied for and approved. If a special permit is applied for, the applicant must state, in addition to satisfying the requirements for individual burn permits, the special circumstances warranting the issuance of a special burn permit.

Burning Requirements

  • The location for any open burning shall not be less than fifty (50) feet from any structure, and provisions must be made to prevent the fire from spreading to within fifty (50) feet of any structure.
  • If a permit is approved, burning must take place between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.
  • Persons holding an approved burn permit must notify the Fire Marshal’s office on the day of the burn prior to commencing burning (10:00 a.m.) and upon completion of the burn (4:00 p.m.).
  • All open burning shall be constantly monitored until the fire is extinguished. Fire extinguishing equipment must be available for immediate use.
  • Any open burning which is, or which becomes, offensive or objectionable due to smoke or odor emissions or due to atmospheric conditions or local circumstances which makes such fire hazardous, is prohibited. If this is the case, either the permit holder or Central County Fire and Rescue personnel will extinguish the fire.

Residential Burn Permit Application

Commercial Burn Permit Application