The Silent Killer - Central County Fire & Rescue

The Silent Killer

Every year carbon monoxide (CO) kills more than 400 people. The dangerous gas, odorless and silent, leaks from furnaces, stoves and generators. CO poisoning is completely preventable.

Important CO Poisoning Prevention Tips From The CDC
• Never use a gas range or oven to heat a home.
• Never leave the motor running in a vehicle parked in an enclosed or partially enclosed space, such as a garage.
• Never run a motor vehicle, generator, pressure washer, or any gasoline-powered engine outside an open window, door, or vent where exhaust can vent into an enclosed area.
• Never run a generator, pressure washer, or any gasoline-powered engine inside a basement, garage, or other enclosed structure, even if the doors or windows are open, unless the equipment is professionally installed and vented. Keep vents and flues free of debris, especially if winds are high. Flying debris can block ventilation lines.
• Never use a charcoal grill, hibachi, lantern, or portable camping stove inside a home, tent, or camper.
• If conditions are too hot or too cold, seek shelter with friends or at a community shelter.
• If CO poisoning is suspected, consult a health care professional right away.

Click here to watch a video on the dangers of carbon monoxide.