Kitchen Fire - Central County Fire & Rescue

Kitchen Fire

Kitchen Fires Serve As Stark Reminder For Cooking Safety

Making a snack and cooking breakfast both seem innocent enough –  until the food is left cooking unattended. In the past few weeks, two local kitchens have caught fire when pots on the stove were left unattended. 

During one of the incidents, the homeowner made breakfast, and then left the kitchen, not realizing the stove was still on. Minutes later the smoke alarm sounded, and the stove was on fire. The homeowner left the house and called 911.

When Central County Fire & Rescue (CCFR) firefighters arrived on the scene on Valley Ridge Dr., the kitchen was ablaze and filled with smoke. No one was injured, but the kitchen was severely damaged.

In the second fire, a teenager was babysitting, and one of the children decided to make tater tots. She started a pot of oil, left the room and fell asleep. They were all awoken by the smoke alarm and evacuated the house on San Carlos Dr.  There were no injuries, but the fire caused around $2,500 in damage. 

According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), cooking is the leading cause of home fires and injuries, and many of these fires are preventable. 

“With Thanksgiving right around the corner this fire is a reminder of the importance of staying safe in the kitchen. Thanksgiving is the leading day of the year for home fires involving cooking equipment. Slow down and pay attention to keep everyone safe,” says CCFR Assistant Chief Steve Brown.


Click here for cooking safety tips.