Kitchen Fire - Central County Fire & Rescue

Kitchen Fire

Dangerous Donut Making, Teenager Injured in Kitchen Fire

What started as a quiet night at home Thursday evening turned disastrous when a teenage cooking project burst into flames. Two St. Peters sisters decided to make homemade donuts. The 14-year-old started a pot of boiling vegetable oil. When she lifted the lid, the pot of oil burst in to flames. In a panic, she threw a pan of water onto the burning pot causing it to explode, and burn her hand.

After the explosion, the girl and her 13-year-old sister grabbed their two dogs and immediately left their house, calling 911 from their cell phone when they were safely outside. When firefighters from Central County Fire & Rescue (CCFR) arrived at the home on the 400 block of Quiet Drive in St. Peters at 10 p.m. they found a working fire in the kitchen, and the two girls safely outside.

The 14-year-old girl’s burned hand was cared for by paramedics from the St. Charles County Ambulance District at the scene and she was transported to a local hospital where she was treated and released. One CCFR firefighter was taken to the hospital and released for a medical emergency that was not related to the fire.

“These girls are extremely lucky that this fire was not more devastating. Putting water on a grease or oil fire is absolutely the worst possible action to take. When the water comes in contact with the boiling oil it explodes into steam causing the burning oil and fire to erupt. The most effective method to extinguish this type of fire is to place the lid back on the burning pot, and turn off the stove. This removes the oxygen, extinguishing the fire,” says CCFR Chief Russ Mason.

“The girls did do the right thing by in staying in the kitchen while they were cooking, and evacuating the house before calling 911. We are very thankful that they are both safe, and that there were not more serious injuries,” says Mason.

According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), cooking is the leading cause of home fires and injuries, with frying posing the greatest threat of starting a home fire. “With the busy holiday weekend upon us it is even more important to remember to keep an eye on what you are cooking, and to keep your kitchen safe,” says Mason. 

About Central County Fire & Rescue
The Central County Fire & Rescue (CCFR) District is one of the largest fire districts in Missouri, covering 72-square miles of St. Charles County, MO and a population of 90,000. A team of 82 firefighter/EMTs, fire inspectors and operational staff work together to keep the St. Peters and St. Charles, MO community safe. This well trained team operates six fire stations, seven days a week. A three member, citizen-elected Board of Directors, leads the District.