Life Saving Awards - Central County Fire & Rescue

Life Saving Awards

lifesavingawards web

The Central County Fire & Rescue (CCFR) Board of Directors recognized seven firefighters for their performance in saving the lives of residents facing cardiac arrest in two separate incidents in 2015.

“In many of the calls CCFR responds to, seconds matter,” Assistant Chief Steve Brown says. “Our firefighters and EMTs are trained to respond quickly to situations that are often confusing or chaotic. Because they are so committed to their training, they were able to save the lives of these two community members.

“We are so proud to be able to say that these seven heroes are part of our CCFR family.”

Heroin Overdose

The board first recognized Capt. Kevin Dickbernd, Engineer Paul Burns and firefighters Ray Hemenway and Kyle Tilley, as well as the St. Charles County Ambulance Medic 2 unit, for their quick response to a report of a cardiac arrest on March 8, 2015, which they learned en route was caused by a heroin overdose.

“Upon arrival, the crew found a man performing chest compressions on the patient, a 51-year-old female,” Brown says. “Captain Dickbernd and his crew took over patient care. They checked for a carotid pulse and, finding none, advised dispatch that they had a Priority 1 patient.”

The crew prepared the Automatic External Defibrillator (AED). Following several rounds of compressions, their monitor identified a spontaneous pulse. Burns continued to assist with setting up an IV, which the medics used to administer two doses of Narcan before the patient could be transported to the hospital. 

The patient was released from the hospital later that evening.

Seizure Patient

The board also recognized Captain Mathew Dermody, Acting Engineer David Rawlings and firefighter Jason Graff, as well as the St. Charles County AmbulanceMedic 4 unit, who responded to a call on July 18, 2015, about a person experiencing seizures.

When the crew arrived, the 64-year-old male was found not breathing and without a pulse. 

“Captain Dermody and a medic removed the patient from his recliner and began chest compressions,” Brown says, explaining that the crew used an AED and auto-pulse machine as part of their patient care plan. “After approximately eight minutes of performing CPR, the victim was transported to the hospital.”

Upon arrival at the hospital, the victim had regained a pulse and was breathing on his own.