This fall, numerous CCFR residents have become the victims of kitchen fires.
The kitchen is where more home fires occur than anywhere else in the house, and cooking is the number one cause of home fires, according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA).
These safety tips can help you avoid a cooking fire in your home:
- Never leave cooking food unattended. If you have to leave the kitchen — even if it’s just for a second — turn the stove off.
- Use a timer so you’ll remember that the stove or oven is on.
- Keep anything that can catch fire — potholders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper or plastic bags, food packaging, towels or curtains — away from your stove, oven or any other appliance in the kitchen that generates heat.
- Clean cooking surfaces regularly to prevent grease buildup.
- Keep a fire extinguisher in your kitchen — CCFR provides training on the proper use of extinguishers.
- If you have young children or pets, use the stove’s back burners whenever possible. Keep children and pets at least 3 feet away from the stove.
- Always check the kitchen before going to bed or leaving the home to make sure all stoves, ovens, and small appliances are turned off.
- Install a smoke alarm near your kitchen. Take two minutes to check it each month, and replace the batteries at least once a year.
A kitchen fire can happen to even the most experienced chef. By following these precautions, you can safely enjoy preparing home-cooked meals for your family and friends.