Served Since 1998
When he is not at the firehouse, you may see Engineer Mike Coomer riding through the streets of St. Charles training for his next long-distance cycling event. Take a minute to learn more about Mike and his career at CCFR.
1. Why did you become a firefighter?
I was newly married and my brother-in-law was a volunteer firefighter, so I applied, thinking I would be interested in protecting the community and learning more about the fire service.
2. How long have you been with the District?
I’ve been with CCFR since 1998 and served for nine years as a volunteer with the St. Charles Fire Protection District, prior to the merger.
3. What is your favorite part of the job?
I enjoy being an Engineer
4. What do you like to do outside of work?
I enjoy bicycling. I participate in RAGBRAI, the weeklong trek across the state of Iowa and the MS 150. I also like hunting, trout fishing and welding projects.
5. What would people be surprised to know about you?
I grew up in Cape Girardeau.
6. Describe a typical day at the firehouse.
Since it is a 48-hour shift we make sure that the truck and all of the equipment is working as it should, keep the station up and running and participate in training when we are not running calls.