Have a Spooktacular, Safe Halloween!
As you hit the street to trick or treat help make this Halloween safe and happy by following these safety tips:
CCFR’S Top 5 Halloween
- Don’t use candles in jack-o-lanterns, luminaries or other decorations
- Avoid costumes with long trains or billowing fabric
- Carry a flashlight while trick-or-treating
- Keep exits clear of decorations
- Keep dried flowers, cornstalks and crepe paper away from lamps and other heat sources
- Swords, knives, and similar costume items should be short, soft, and flexible.
- Avoid trick-or-treating alone. Walk in groups or with a trusted adult.
- Fasten reflective tape to costumes and bags to help drivers see you.
- Examine all treats for choking hazards and tampering before eating them.
- Hold a flashlight while trick-or-treating to help you see and others see you.
- Always test make-up on a small area. Remove before bedtime to prevent irritation.
- Look both ways before crossing the street. Use crosswalks wherever possible.
- Lower your risk for serious eye injury by not wearing decorative contact lenses.
- Only walk on sidewalks or on the far edge of the road facing traffic to stay safe.
- Wear well-fitting masks, costumes, and shoes to avoid trips, and falls.
- Eat only factory-wrapped treats. Avoid homemade treats unless you know the cook.
- Enter homes only if you’re with a trusted adult. Otherwise, stay outside.
- Never walk near lit candles or luminaries. Be sure to wear flame-resistant costumes.