Have a spooktacular-ly safe Halloween!
CCFR’S Top 5 Halloween Safety Tips
- Don’t use candles in jack-o-lanterns, luminaries or other decorations.
- Avoid costumes with long trains or billowing fabric.
- Carry a flashlight while trick-or-treating. This will help you see AND help others see you.
- Keep exits clear of decorations.
- Keep dried flowers, cornstalks and crepe paper away from lamps andother heat sources.
- Swords, knives and similar costume items should be short, soft and flexible.
- Avoid trick-or-treating alone. Walk in groups or with a trusted adult.
- Fasten reflective tape to costumes and bags to help drivers see you.
- Examine all treats for choking hazards and tampering before eating them.
- Look both ways before crossing the street. Use crosswalks wherever possible.
- Lower your risk for serious eye injury by not wearing decorative contact lenses.
- Only walk on sidewalks or on the far edge of the road facing traffic to stay safe.
- Wear well-fitting masks, costumes, and shoes to avoid trips and falls.
- Eat only factory-wrapped treats. Avoid homemade treats unless you know the cook.
- Enter homes only if you’re with a trusted adult. Otherwise, stay outside.
- Never walk near lit candles or luminaries. Be sure to wear flame-resistant costumes.
Even More Halloween Safety Tips