Lithium ion batteries are everywhere — in computers, smartphones, children’s toys and more. They have become the industry standard for rechargeable batteries due to their long lifespan and generally low maintenance needs.
However, because lithium ion batteries store such a large amount of energy in such a small amount of space, they can easily overheat and be highly combustible, causing serious fires.
Here are some tips from the National Fire Protection Association to help you reduce fire risks while charging these batteries and their related devices:
- Keep batteries at room temperature.
- Do not place batteries in direct sunlight.
- Do not keep them in hot vehicles or your garage.
- Purchase and use devices that are listed by a qualified testing laboratory.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions, and only use the battery that is designed for the device.
- Put batteries in the device the right way.
- Only use the charging cord that came with the device.
- Do not charge a device under your pillow, on your bed or on a couch.
- Store batteries away from anything that can catch fire.
Safe Lithium Ion Battery Disposal
While lithium ion batteries are known for being long-lasting, they don’t last forever! Lithium ion batteries should be disposed of immediately if you notice unusual odor, a change in color, too much heat, a change in shape, leaking or odd noises.
- If your lithium ion battery displays any of the above malfunctions, immediately move the device away from anything that can catch fire and call Central County Fire & Rescue for assistance.
- Do not put discarded batteries in piles.
- NEVER put lithium ion batteries in the trash. Instead, take them to a battery recycling location, such as Batteries Plus Bulbs (4057 Veterans Memorial Pkwy. St. Peters, MO 63376).
Need assistance with lithium ion batteries? Contact us at 636-970-9700.