In April 2015 a local apartment fire was likely caused by the improper disposal of smoking materials. With cigarettes as the leading cause of home fire fatalities in the United States, it is vitally important to remember to Put it Out. All The Way Out. Every Time.
Smoking Safety Tips
- Douse cigarette butts and ashes in water before disposing them in a metal container that is at least six-feet away from the house.
- If you smoke inside use deep, wide ashtrays on a steady surface that is clear of other items.
- Before leaving the room, check under furniture cushions and in other places people smoke for cigarette butts that may have fallen out of sight.
- Do not dispose of cigarettes on the driveway, deck or other outdoor areas that are not enclosed.
- Never smoke in a home where oxygen is used.
- Keep matches, lighters and cigarettes out of the reach of children.
- Do not smoke while intoxicated or under the influence of drugs.