Firefighters Use Naloxone to Save Heroin Overdose Victim Monday Evening
Only five days after being trained to use Naloxone (Narcan), CCFR (Central County Fire & Rescue) firefighters helped save a victim of a heroin overdose Monday evening.
At approximately 6:25 p.m. on Monday, March 30 the team of firefighter/EMTs from CCFR Station #3 responded to a reported heroin overdose in the first block of Ann Dr. in St. Peters, Missouri. When they arrived on the scene the victim’s friend was performing CPR on the 26-year-old overdose victim.
“As they conducted their primary assessment the team found that the victim was in respiratory arrest, and may have overdosed on heroin. They put their recent training into action, administering a dose of Naloxone. Within seconds the victim began breathing again,” says CCFR Chief Russ Mason.
Paramedics from St. Charles County Ambulance District arrived a short time later and administered a second dose of Naloxone by IV, which allowed the victim to regain consciousness, and be transported to a local hospital.
“Without the Naloxone, and the proper training of our team there is a chance this victim would not have survived this overdose,” says Mason.
About Central County Fire & Rescue
The Central County Fire & Rescue (CCFR) District is one of the largest fire districts in Missouri, covering 72-square miles of St. Charles County, MO and a population of 90,000. A team of 82 firefighter/EMTs, fire inspectors and operational staff work together to keep the St. Peters and St. Charles, MO community safe. This well trained team operates six fire stations, seven days a week. A three member, citizen-elected Board of Directors, leads the District