Holiday Safety Tips - Central County Fire & Rescue

Holiday Safety Tips

Holiday Safety

Keep your home festive and fire-free this holiday season with these safety reminders.

Candles

December is the peak time of year for home candle fires. We encourage the use of flameless, battery-operated candles instead of real ones.

If you do burn candles, make sure that you…

  • Use candle holders that are sturdy and won’t tip over easily.
  • Put candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface.
  • Light candles carefully. Keep your hair and any loose clothing away from the flame.
  • Don’t burn a candle all the way down. Put it out before it gets too close to the holder or container.
  • Never use a candle if oxygen is used in the home.
  • Have flashlights and batter-powered lighting ready to use during a power outage. Never use candles.

Cooking

Your decorations aren’t the only fire hazard lurking in your holiday festivities! Cooking is another leading cause of fires, when many home kitchens are busier than usual. Keep your holiday feast from going up in smoke with these kitchen fire prevention tips:

  • Unattended cooking is the leading cause of U.S. home fires and home fire injuries, with most cooking fires involving the stove top. Stay in the kitchen, and use timers to remind you to check on food regularly while cooking.
  • Create a “kid-free zone” of at least 3 feet around the stove and areas where hot food and drinks are prepared or carried.
  • If you have a cooking fire, just get out! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire. Call 911 or the local emergency number immediately after you leave.
  • If you do try to fight the fire, be sure others are getting out and that you have access to an exit.
  • Keep a lid nearby when you’re cooking to smother small grease fires. Slide the lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled. For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.

Gift Wrap

Finally, what to do with all that gift wrap. Hint: Don’t burn it! Throw it out (or recycle it) instead. Certain dyes in the paper can let off toxic gases when burned, and the paper can float up into your chimney where it can start a chimney/attic fire.

Working Together, Keeping You Safe