Unattended Cooking Suspected Cause of St. Peters Condominium Fire - Central County Fire & Rescue

Unattended Cooking Suspected Cause of St. Peters Condominium Fire

One person was transported to the hospital for smoke inhalation following a fire that was likely started by unattended cooking at a condominium complex on Trailside Ct. in St. Peters on Thursday, Aug. 29. The fire destroyed one home and damaged two others in the complex. 

The fire was reported at around 4:45 p.m. Central County Fire & Rescue (CCFR) was the first to respond and was assisted by the St. Charles City Fire Department, Cottleville Fire Protection District and St. Charles County Ambulance District.  Twenty six emergency responders worked for more than an hour to contain and extinguish the blaze. 

Nationally, and within the CCFR fire district, cooking is the leading cause of home fires. According to the National Fire Protection Association home cooking causes more than 400 fires per day. In 2018, CCFR responded to 19 fires that started in kitchens.

“It is critically important to stay in the kitchen and make sure there are no distractions while you are cooking. With all of the open heat sources in the kitchen it doesn’t take much for a fire to start,” 

says CCFR Assistant Chief Steve Brown. 

Displaced occupants and emergency responders on the scene are being 

provided with victim assistance and canteen services by eight volunteer members from the Central County Community Assistance Program: REHAB-95.