Family Awoke To Smell Of Smoke, Safely Evacuated
At nearly 4 a.m. on Sunday, May 28 a St. Peters family awoke to the smell of smoke coming from their basement. After the mother, father and daughter exited their bedrooms the father discovered a haze on their first level and a finished basement full of smoke.
“Thankfully, the family was able to safely leave the home and call 911,” says CCFR (Central County Fire & Rescue) Chief Dan Aubuchon. “When our crews arrived at the home in the 500 block of Pioneer Dr. they found a small fire under a built-in fish tank in the basement. They also found that that the family had smoke alarms on every level of the home. None of them were working.”
Smoke alarms expire after ten years. “This family’s home was built thirty years ago, and still had the original detectors. Smoke alarms must be replaced every ten years, and the batteries need to be replaced every six months. This family is very fortunate in two ways – it was a small fire, and they awoke to the smell of the smoke. If one of these two aspects had been different the outcome could have been drastically different,” says Aubuchon.
CCFR offers complimentary smoke alarms, equipment checks, and battery replacements. Residents can call 636.970.9700 to schedule an appointment.
“If your smoke alarms were installed before 2007 they need to be replaced. If you aren’t sure which kind to purchase, can’t reach them to change the batteries or need any other help with your smoke alarms, please give us a call, we are here to help and prevent another incident like the one we experienced this weekend,” says Aubuchon.